Au Pair in Germany

An au pair stay is possible for young people from 18 to 26 years of age, or from 17 to 30 for au pairs from EU/EEA countries and from Switzerland. It offers many opportunities to get to know a new culture. But you will also have to do your bit and get good information.

As an au pair, you can live with a German host family for a maximum of one year: you are a temporary member of the family! Your job: taking care of the family’s kids and helping with light household duties.

The host family and the organisation will take care of your stay: you will normally get your own room, a monthly allowance and free meals. It will contribute a certain amount to your language school and make sure that you are covered by a health and accident insurance.

  1. General Information
  2. Your rights and duties
  3. Organisation
  4. Cost, Insurance and Visa
  5. Testimonials
  6. Information for parents


    … if you come from a country with a visa requirement,

    you have to apply for a residence permit (visa) at a German diplomatic mission (embassy, consulate) in your home country. You need the following documents for your visa application:

    • a valid passport,

    • the invitation of your host family,

    • the au pair contract with your host family,

    • a certificate for the insurance your host family has taken out for you.

    The application form and other information are available on the website of the German Embassy in your home country. It will again check your language skills and will also ask you for your motivation for your au pair stay.

    Applicants from Australia, Israel, Japan, Canada, New Zealand, the Republic of Korea and the USA may enter Germany without a visa. The safest way is, however, to get more specific information about visa formalities from the German embassy or the German consulate in your home country.

    … if you come from Bulgaria, Romania and Croatia,

    you will have to apply for an EU work permit with the Bundesagentur für Arbeit (Federal Employment Agency).

    … if you come from an EU/EEA member state or from Switzerland,

    you may enter Germany without a visa or work permit and start your work as au pair.


    Compared to other programmes, an au pair stay is not expensive.

    You have to expect the following expenses:

    • the cost of your travel from your home country to Germany and back,

    • the fee for your language course (your host family will pay a monthly contribution of € 50). It is not compulsory to attend a language course during your stay, but you will benefit a lot, as you will be be able to communicate faster and better in everyday life. The cost of such a course may vary a lot – you will get support from a placement agency or local agencies at your host family’s place of residence (at the local adult education centre, for example).

    • If you are placed by an au pair agency registered in Germany, it may only ask you to pay a maximum fee of € 150 for the placement. Information material, advice and placement are free of charge in case of German agencies bearing the RAL Quality Seal.

    You will get a monthly allowance of no less than € 260 from your host family to cover your personal expenses such as clothing, cosmetics, bus and rail tickets, entrance fees for clubs, swimming pools and cinemas. When you have an au pair ID, which your agency can issue, you will often get discounts.


    As au pair working in Germany you have to be covered by health, liability and accident insurance. Your host family takes out the insurance and bears its cost. Your health insurance must also include coverage for pregnancy and childbirth-related risks.

    Your host family will normally take out an insurance package including health, accident and third-party liability insurance.